Indiana Unemployment Snapshot
Indiana's State Rate
- Indiana's unemployment rate rose to 4.7% in November, up about one percentage point from the state's average in first quarter 2001. (Data are not seasonally adjusted.)
- Indiana's unemployment rate was still below the 5.3% national average in November.
- In November, 21 states had higher unemployment rates than Indiana and 28 states had lower unemployment rates.
Indiana Metro Area Rates
- Bloomington (3.0%) and Lafayette (3.5%) reported the lowest unemployment rates.
- Elkhart-Goshen (6.3%) and Terre Haute (5.4%) reported the highest unemployment rates.
- Indianapolis (3.8%) remained below the state average.
- Kokomo's unemployment rate was high throughout 2001 (5.0% in November), while most other metro areas saw unemployment rise during the year from low levels in the first quarter.
Indiana County Rates
Click for detailed image
- The lowest county unemployment rate in November was found in Hamilton County (2.2%).
- The highest county unemployment rate was reported by Fayette County (11.4%).